Public Health is the science of protecting and improving the health of communities through education, promotion of healthy lifestyles, and research for disease and injury prevention.
Public health professionals analyze the effect on health of genetics, personal choice and the environment in order to develop programs that protect the health of your family and community.
Overall, public health is concerned with protecting the health of entire populations. These populations can be as small as a local neighborhood, or as big as an entire country.
Public health professionals try to prevent problems from happening or re-occurring through implementing educational programs, developing policies, administering services, regulating health systems and some health professions, and conducting research, in contrast to clinical professionals, such as doctors and nurses, who focus primarily on treating individuals after they become sick or injured. It is also a field that is concerned with limiting health disparities and a large part of public health is the fight for health care equity, quality, and accessibility.
The vision for public health at Puntland State University is to improve community and individual health through education, promotion of healthy lifestyles, and research for disease and injury prevention.
The mission of Public Health at Puntland State University is to endorse physical and mental health and Prevent Disease, Injury, and Disability and to protect and promote the health of our citizens through prevention, science, and the assurance of quality health care delivery.
- Prevent epidemics and the spread of disease
- Protect against environmental hazards
- Prevent injuries
- Promote and encourage healthy behaviors
- Respond to disasters and assist communities in recovery
- Assure the quality and accessibility of Health Services
The department of Public Health offers:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health
Duration: four (4) years.
Admission to undergraduate degree programs is based on academic achievement at the secondary level. All students must graduate from high school and pass the entry examination to be admitted in Public Health. Entry examinations will include English, and Math.
Students are taken through theory and practical work before they are attached for practical experience in various government, non-government and research institutions.
Upon completion, graduates seek employments in the following fields:
- Governmental Organizations (Local and Central), such as Ministry of Health, Hospitals, MCHs and Municipalities.
- International and Local Non- Governmental Organizations.
- Inter-Governmental Organizations like UN Agencies, Arab League, IGAD and etc.
- Research centers.
- Health Commissioner.
- Health teaching and administration.
- Hospital Administrator.
- Health Educator.
- Public Health Laboratory Director.
- Public Health Advisor.
- Environmental Health and water safety
- Health Promotion Program Coordinator.
- Director of Emergency Medical Services.
- Community Health Worker.
- Family Health Services.
- Food Service Sanitarian.
- Disaster Preparedness Researcher.
- Coordinator, Behavioral Health Program.
- Health Economist.
- Health Facility Surveyor.
- Technical Advisor/Logistics.
- And many other fields.
For more information contact to:
Dean, Faculty of Health Sciences
Puntland State University
Tel: +252 90 7793978
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com