This department opened its door October 2004 as a faculty of Public Administration. By establishing of FOSS, this faculty changed its category into the Department of PA in 2010.
The mission of the DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION is to provide students with a range of knowledge, skills, and problem-solving abilities to respond to the need for successful management of government organizations, and other not-for-profit organizations in a changing transitional environment
Department Of Public Administration:
- Provide the understanding and skills that are required for success in a multicultural global environment;
- Provide an overall perspective of the organization as a system;
- Provide a view of the organization that includes all relevant variables from all disciplines;
- Provide the understanding and analytic skills that are necessary to evaluate and respond appropriately to an organization’s changing economic, social, political, cultural, and technological environment;
- Provide practical experience working with multicultural teams on practical problems in organizations.
The department of Public Administration offers:
- Associate degree in Public Administration
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration
Associate Degree in Public Administration
60 semester units are required for graduation, 24 General education Courses, 30 Core Courses and 6 Elective Courses. One batch of Associate degree graduated in September 2008.
Duration: two years
Graduates of this programme qualify for entry level/ hands-on positions. Additional education adds to an individual’s employment and advancement opportunities.
Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration
The programme leading to the Bachelor of Science in Public Administration is primarily designed to provide the student with a solid and well-rounded education in government and public organizations.
It prepares the student for professional leadership roles in policy development, planning, and administration in public, human services, and non-profit sectors.
The competency that the student acquires is based on the foundation laid by the core curriculum, which include introductory courses in administrative, political, and social sciences, as well as statistics and research methodologies.
The bachelor’s degree programme begins with General Education courses, advances by core and concentration courses, and is completed with a final research paper at the end, showing the ability of the student to analyze a problem situation and make an appropriate decision suitable to the surrounding circumstances.
The first batch of Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration finished their study in January 2011
120 semester units are required for graduation of which 48 units are for general education programme, 57 units for core courses, and 15 units for elective courses in the area of desired concentration.
Duration: Four years
Admission to undergraduate degree programs is based on academic achievement at the secondary level. All students must graduate from high school and pass the entry examination to be admitted in University programs. Entry examinations will include English, and Math.
Students are taken through theory and practical work before they are attached for practical experience in various government, non-government and research institutions.
Upon completion, graduates seek employments in the following fields:
Governmental Organizations (Local and Central).
- International and Local Non- Governmental Organizations.
- Research centers.
- Inter-Governmental Organizations like UN Agencies, Arab League, IGAD and etc.