Department of Information Technology – Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (BSIT)
Background of the Faculty
The Faculty of Computer Science and Information technology (FCSIT) is primarily focused on subjects such as software, databases, and networking. In general computer science faculties tend to focus on the mathematical and theoretical foundations of computing rather than emphasizing specific technologies. The Faculty is conferring degrees in the fields of information technology and related fields where the student will gain knowledge about software development, software testing, software engineering, web design, databases, programming, computer networking and computer system.
This Faculty will prepare students for jobs in the marketplace demanding systems and technology interfaces with business tasks in every function and department.
The overarching goal of the Faculty is to prepare students with broad, integrated IT knowledge including communications, computer networking, computer-based systems, database management, software development, website development, digital media and electronic publishing. Students learn how to evaluate current and emerging technologies; identify user needs; design user-friendly interfaces; apply, configure and manage technologies; and assess the impact of technologies on individuals, organizations and society.
The major goal of the computer science and information technology is to prepare students for careers as
• Software developers
• Systems analysts
• Network administrators
• Web developers
• IT managers
• IT strategic planner
• And IT policy makers
THE COURSE INTRODUCTION
PSU’s Bachelor of Information Technology course is designed to meet the needs of information technology professionals The program which is a nine semester program designed to produce world-class IT professionals that is not only nationally competitive but also globally competitive and who will be professionally competent, morally upright, and socially responsible contributors to national development.
The program is a study of the utilization and applications of computers and computer software to plan, install, customize, operate, manage, administer and maintain information technology infrastructure. It prepares students to be IT professionals well versed on application, installation, operation, development, maintenance and administration of IT hardware and software.
The curriculum is based on the guidelines set by team from United States International University Nairobi.
The standard length of the BSIT program is 9 semesters (36 months). It requires the full-time student to take an average of 5/6 courses (18 credits) per semester.
Course abbreviation: BSIT
The program leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Information Technology has the following objectives:
1. Prepare students for IT positions in a wide variety of organizations.
2. To produce well planed Database designers and developers.
3. Have well-rounded experts in Web Management, Design, and development.
4. Getting Experts in Computer Multimedia Graphic Design, and Interactive works.
5. Sufficient management and problem solving skills – able to make good decisions related to IT use and implementation in organizations.
6. A team which have ICT skills, Networking, PC Hardware Structure, Networks, Computer Security.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES
Information technology (IT) graduate will possess the knowledge, skills, abilities, and attributes to:
1. Develop Software’s (Management Systems).
2. Analyzing Systems and Forecast
3. Administrate Networks
4. Develop Website
5. Manage IT Firms, and huge companies IT Sections.
6. Developing IT Policy and Strategies
7. Design and conduct experiments to resolve IT hardware and software problems.
8. Control IT Security for the Firms
Bachelor of Science in Information Technology – Concentrations
We are planning to create concentrations for BS_IT Degree such as
• Business system analysis
• Information System Security
• Multimedia And Visual Communication
• Networks and Telecommunication
• Software engineering
• Web development
• Cyber security technology
• Database Technology
• Digital Forensics Technology
• Enterprise security technology
• Networking Technology
FOR MORE INFO YOU CAN REACH US AT FCSIT@PUNTLANDSTATEUNIVERSITY.COM